This program maintains an admission process unique to the program. Prospective students are encouraged to review the admission requirements in order to best prepare themselves for a successful future at EVMS.
This program maintains an academic calendar unique to the program that includes exam schedules. All students are encouraged to review the academic calendar in order to be successful at EVMS.
Tuition and Fees Process
This program maintains a tuition and fees process unique to the program. All students are encouraged to review the tuition and fees process in order to best prepare themselves for a successful future at EVMS.
The mission of Eastern Virginia Medical School is deeply rooted in the education and training of truly caring and competent physicians, equipping them with the requisite scientific, academic and humanistic skills most relevant to today’s practice of medicine.
EVMS’ newly reformed CareForward Curriculum (CFC) is designed to enhance learning through integration and innovation. The purpose of the CFC is to educate caring, compassionate, skillful caregivers, with an emphasis on preparing students to easily transition into residency training with the knowledge and understanding to competently navigate the complexities of the healthcare system.
Recognizing the importance of effectively managing care for the aging American population and the predominant challenge of caring for patients with multiple chronic conditions, we empower our future healthcare providers with the skillsets necessary to address these issues.
What the CFC offers students:
- Learning opportunities are fully integrated with appropriate and contemporaneous foundational and clinical science principles delivered at an appropriate level.
- Foundational science principles are augmented by early access to clinical practice.
- Compassion and care, not only for patients but for fellow learners and educators, are a significant focus of the curriculum.
- Active learning is promoted in the curriculum to advance students’ ability to solve problems, communicate effectively and work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Opportunities are made readily available to systematically and scientifically strengthen the knowledge, skills and paradigms that produce strong, community-oriented physicians.
- The organ- and systems-based approach to medical education accurately reflects the real-life performance pattern of a practicing physician.
Preparation for the future
- The emphasis on foundational sciences, clinical sciences and clinical skills, combined with a robust program in careers in medicine, helps prepare students for residency selection and beyond.
- By providing a true understanding of the nuances of healthcare, students are exposed to the importance of making cost-conscious decisions while providing the safest and highest-quality care.
- Principles of evidence-based medicine and best practices are taught to ensure students can develop comprehensive care plans for elderly patients and patients with multiple chronic conditions.
- The curriculum, by design, cultivates a lifelong love of learning.
Using cutting-edge concepts in technology and the science of learning, CFC will use longitudinal clinical cases drawn from virtual families to simulate real-life clinical scenarios and complexities. These cases will be used as an important tool for integrating basic and clinical sciences and also contents across various organ systems modules.